If you’re following the plot of my philosophically inclined posts you will see my dismissal of materialists as modern flat earthers. So what basic philosophical stance do I regard as more appropriate? In his book The Flip, Jeffrey Krittal suggest five possible perspectives, as follows.
- Panpsychism. Everything has mind/ has some level of consciousness/ is alive.
- Dual-Aspect Monism. Mind and matter are aspects of a single underlying reality.
- Quantum Mind. Quantum mechanics applies at a level of real world objects; mind is an expression of the quantum wave function. (Alexander Wendt)
- Cosmopsychism/ panentheism. All conscious subjects are partial aspects of the more fundamental whole.
- Idealism. Mind is fundamental and matter is a manifestation thereof.
This is all very interesting as theory, and no doubt enthusiasts of the various viewpoints could spend many an hour debating their differences. But in essence, if you don’t…
View original post 108 more words